Styrkeprøven nutrition tips
8. juni 2023
Av Jonas Sundet
By Equipe Enervit
Customized nutrition strategies for each distance:
Get ready to embark on a thrilling adventure that pays homage to the rich heritage of endurance sports. Introducing Styrkeprøven, the world’s oldest and longest tour race, where athletes from around the globe gather to push their limits and forge unforgettable memories.
Steeped in history, Styrkeprøven stands as a testament to the indomitable spirit of human determination. Since 1967, cyclists have come together to conquer the challenging course, navigating picturesque landscapes, and battling against their own physical and mental barriers in the 540 km from Trondheim to Oslo.
NUTRITION TIPS BY EQUIPE ENERVIT
In the world of endurance sports, optimal nutrition is the key that unlocks peak performance. As the excitement builds for the upcoming Styrkeprøven event, it is crucial for athletes to develop a solid sport nutrition strategy that will fuel their journey towards triumph.
Join us as we uncover the secrets of effective fuelling strategies for Styrkeprøven. From pre-race preparations to on-course nutrition and post-race recovery, we will guide you through the key elements that will help you optimize your performance and reach new heights in your athletic journey.
REPLENISH ENERGY RESERVES AND HYDRATE. The 2-3 days leading up to the event play a pivotal role in replenishing your energy reserves and optimizing your performance. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make the most of this crucial period:
- Slightly increase the carbohydrates intake: Ensure that each meal and snack include a rich source of carbohydrates, lean protein, and «good» fats. Consider options such as a meal consisting of rice, fish, or white meat, or a snack with whole grain bread paired with Parmesan cheese or lean sliced meat. This combination of nutrients will provide the necessary fuel for your training and help prepare your body for the upcoming event.
- Hydration is Key: Consistently hydrate throughout the day to maintain optimal performance levels. Make sure to include Enervit Isotonic Drink in your hydration routine, as it replenishes electrolytes and supports proper hydration.
DON’T OVERDO IT, ENERGY RESERVES HAVE A LIMITED CAPACITY. Energy reserves have a limited capacity. Bingeing in the days leading up to physical exertion, would not only be unbeneficial but could even prove counterproductive. To avoid starting the race feeling bloated and sluggish, it’s important to adopt a mindful approach. Here are some guidelines to follow:
- Be Mindful of Portion Sizes: While it’s essential to consume adequate nutrients, avoid excessive calorie intake. Overeating can lead to discomfort and decreased alertness during the event. Maintain a balanced approach by focusing on quality rather than quantity.
- Minimize fiber and Fructose Intake: To reduce the risk of gut stress, consider eliminating or reducing foods rich in fiber and fructose, such as vegetables and fruits, from your diet 2-3 days before the event. These foods can be harder to digest and may cause discomfort during physical activity.
- Limit Lactose and High-Fat Foods: Foods high in lactose and fat, including dairy products, cream, and ice cream, can contribute to digestive issues.
BREAKFAST BEFORE THE RACE. Only one last step is missing before the start, one of the most important, because a large part of the outcome of the race depends on it in all respects: breakfast before the race. One of the most common mistakes made on the morning of the race is not to eat breakfast. There are those who do not eat due to tension, those who find it difficult to digest and those who have both problems.
The advice, if you are one of these athletes, is to have breakfast with a slice of toast or wholemeal rusks, jam and at least two glasses of water, to ensure a low glycaemic index carbohydrate intake, without weighing down the stomach. If, on the other hand, you are one of those who have already tried breakfast, for example in long courses, the suggestion, after your normal breakfast, is to use one or two Pre Sport jelly while you are on the grid.
DON’T’ UNDERESTIMATE THE FIRST KILOMETRES. As you gear up for the incredible challenge of Styrkeprøven, it’s crucial to recognize the significance of early energy consumption. With 375 kilometres remaining after conquering the main climb, it’s vital to adopt a proactive approach to prevent energy depletion and ensure a strong finish.
By starting to consume energy products during the early kilometres, you establish a solid foundation for sustained performance. Take one energy gel or one isotonic gel every 40’ starting from the first kilometres to replenish your energy stores while on the move. This will help you maintaining a steady energy supply throughout the race.
FRACTIONATE. A strategic approach to energy intake can make a world of difference. Fractionating your energy consumption by taking one energy product around every hour is a key strategy that offers multiple benefits for your performance:
- Allow your body to preserve its endogenous energy reserves for the crucial final part of the journey. This ensures that you have a sufficient energy store to tap into when you need it the most.
- Relying predominantly on exogenous energy sources such as energy bars, gels, liquid blends, reduces the strain on your body to generate energy from its internal stores, allowing you to maintain a consistent pace and performance level throughout the ride.
- Promotes efficient stomach emptying, minimizing the risk of discomfort and gastrointestinal issues. By providing your body with a steady supply of fuel at regular intervals, you can enhance absorption and digestion, optimizing nutrient delivery to your muscles.
GEL, LIQUID OR SOLID ENERGY? When it comes to fuelling during cycling, it’s important to consider the demands of the terrain and your effort level. During intense climbs or high-effort segments, opting for energy gels or liquid energy drinks can be advantageous. These easily digestible options provide a quick and efficient source of fuel, allowing for rapid absorption and immediate energy release without putting excessive stress on the stomach. On the other hand, during segments that require less intense efforts, choosing solid energy solutions, such as energy bars can be a favourable choice. Bars offer a more substantial and satisfying snack, providing a sustained release of energy while also reducing the risk of stomach discomfort.
MORE ENERGY, LESS SPACE. Get ready to revolutionize your energy intake with the new Enervit C2:1PRO line. These cutting-edge products offer a remarkable energy solution in a compact package. The key lies in their high energy density and low volume design. With Enervit C2:1PRO, you can bring with you more energy in less space.
Thanks to the formula based on glucose/fructose in a 2:1 ratio, Enervit C2:1PRO products allow the most demanding athletes to overcome the limit of 60g carbs/hr and go even beyond 90g carbs/hr (+50% absorbed carbs), optimizing performance and minimizing the risk of gastrointestinal distress.
UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL WITH FUNCTIONAL ENERGY SOLUTIONS. When facing the challenges of a long race, it’s crucial to fuel your body with the right nutrients. For optimal performance, it is recommended to prioritize high-carbohydrate and low-fat options such as the Carbo Gel C2:1PRO and Carbo Jelly C2:1PRO from Enervit. These functional energy sources provide a concentrated dose of carbs to replenish your energy stores efficiently.
In the most demanding sections of the route, Enervit offers a wide range of energy gels to cater to diverse needs and enable a personalized nutrition strategy. From Isotonic gels to Liquid gels and the high-performance Carbo Gel C2:1PRO, there’s a gel for every requirement.
Among the Enervit gel offerings, the Carbo Gel C2:1PRO stands out with its maximum energy density. Packed with a blend of maltodextrin and fructose, it delivers 40gr of carbohydrates for an energy boost to fuel your performance and help you maintain peak energy levels during the race.
By incorporating these functional energy solutions into your race strategy, you can optimize your energy intake, enhance endurance, and unleash your full potential. Remember to experiment with different products during training to determine the ones that work best for you.
STAY HYDRATED FOR PEAK PERFORMANCE. When embarking on a long ride, hydration becomes paramount. While nutrition is crucial, ensuring proper hydration takes precedence.
To keep dehydration at bay, equip yourself with two flasks: one filled with water for continuous sipping alongside your nutrition products, and another containing Enervit Instant Drink. This mineral-based blend provides essential electrolytes to replenish your body. For an extra energy boost, alternate with Enervit Isocarb C2:1PRO, a carbohydrate-based solution designed to fuel your endurance.
Aim to take a sip every 10 to 15 minutes, adapting to your individual sweat rate. Don’t wait until thirst strikes, as it’s a delayed signal that indicates you’ve already lost 1-2% of your body weight in water. Remember to refill your water bottles along the way, ensuring you maintain optimal hydration throughout your ride.
RECOVERY. Congratulations on reaching the finish line! This is a significant milestone worth celebrating. However, before immersing yourself in well-deserved rest and celebration, it’s important to dedicate a few more focused minutes to kickstart your recovery journey. This critical period immediately after the race is the most effective time to begin your body’s restoration process from the exertions you’ve endured.
To kickstart your recovery, within 30 minutes of crossing the finish line, prioritize the intake of Enervit WP Recovery Drink. This specially designed drink is formulated to efficiently restore your depleted energy levels and replenish hydration, while also aiding in the repair of stressed muscles. It sets the foundation for your recovery and prepares you for your next challenge, ensuring you can push forward with renewed strength and determination.